Please see below the advise received from West Midlands Police
As many of you are planning to go on holiday over Easter please also remember to plan your security provisions whilst you are away too.
- Set timers so that lights come on in your house.
- Test and use your alarm and outside security lights.
- Lock all doors, including porches and remove keys from the locks
- Can a neighbour take in your post to avoid it being visible in a porch for days?
- Ensure all valuables are safely stored away.
- Register your valuables for free on www.immobilise.com
- If you are travelling by car, could a neighbour leave a car on your drive to give the impression someone is home?
- If you are leaving your car at home, install additional security such as steering wheel locks.
- Avoid telling everyone on social media that you are going away.
- Avoid posting holiday photos on social media whilst you are away.
- Ensure all bushes at the front of your property are trimmed down. High front hedges are a criminals dream when committing burglaries as they cannot be seen from the road / pavement.
- Ensure ladders, garden tables and furniture is secured / locked away, including your wheelie bins !! especially if you have single storey extensions / conservatories.
- Ensure you do not leave garden tools around that could be used to break in. Lock them securely in a shed or garage.
- If you have bicycles in a shed or garage make sure they are all locked together with a quality assured lock.Also consider letting the tyres down whilst you are away to make them less attractive to take !
- Ensure a neighbour or relative have your contact details of where you are going and ask them to keep an eye on your home whilst you are away.
- Visit http://www.securedbydesign.com
/crime-prevention-advice/secur e-your-home/ for more tips and security advise.